Thursday, September 16, 2010

VW: doing it right since the 60's (and probably even before then)

I love VW. I love them as a brand, as a product line, as a company, and as a community.
I also love them as an advertiser.
I am constantly re-convinced again and again that VW, and whatever agency they've been using, knows what they're doing. Take a look at these ads they did in the 1960's, specifically the copy.







Even back in the 1960's, VW knew how to sell cars. They knew how to be remarkable - they knew how to be purple cows, if not purely by virtue of the product they were selling, then by making the product seem like a purple cow through their advertising.

And they're still doing it to this day. To be completely honest, I just pulled the first VW print ad I came across, because if I spent any considerable amount of time trying to find one of my favorites, I'd be here all night, get distracted, and never actually post this.


They've moved their focus from long copy to short and sweet, but it works. Everything works.

As far as German manufacturers go, BMW should take a page out of VW's book.
Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment