Sunday, October 24, 2010

Loooonngggg Copy.


So I posted this ad really big so you could read the itty bitty teeny tiny copy.

I'm not absolutely thrilled by this ad, but it takes a LOT to get me really excited about long copy ads. I think they're not the most effective and are the hardest to do well. Not only do you need an excellent headline that draws the reader in and makes them want to keep reading, which is always tough, you have to make sure the long copy part of the ad will bring them from start to finish without allowing them the urge to turn the page and move on with their lives.

I don't really think this one does either.

I like their headline. I'm not wowed by it, but I think it could be effective depending on the placement of the ad and the reader.
The problem I have with most long copy ads is...their copy is great BUT I never want to read a story in an advertisement. Pretty much ever. So it's got to be pretty baller to make me want to read the whole thing.
You can have a great piece of writing on an advertisement. It can flow well, have great syntax and prose, and be a really nice read. But the fact of the matter is, syntax, prose and flow can only do so much. In order to read what you're saying, I have to care. And how to make me care is the question at hand, for which I don't have an answer.

Just some food for thought.

No comments:

Post a Comment